Saturday, September 13, 2008

It's official. I now have TWO teenagers. Zane's 13th birthday was yesterday, and I only have two more years before Kent reaches his teens.

Being the mother of teens is actually more fun than I ever imagined. They finally "get" my sad attempts at humor.

Last weekend, Catherine and I went to a bridal shower. I promise that I did read the directions, and saw what town it was in. However, I didn't realize exactly how far away the location was. The directions said to turn right on XXX street, and go to the four-way stop. It did not say that the four-way stop was 10 miles down the road!

I started telling Catherine that it appeared we would be in Savannah before the day was over. She started giggling. Then, when we finally find the next turn, we start passing a lot of single-wide trailer houses. I told her that if I saw a boy playing a banjo on the front porch, we were turning around. Poor Catherine! She actually understood what I was saying, and I thought I was going to have to pull over for her to use the bathroom in the bushes! It's so much fun when she likes being with me!

Zane has a great sense of humor. Daddy and Betty gave him a birthday card that said, "Since you're so terrific, we dug down deep in our pockets so we could get you a really special birthday gift...and here's what we came up with!" It had a big wad of lint taped inside. He said it's the best card he's ever received. I think he liked the card better than the money they added to it!

Kent is my buddy. He loves hanging out with me, and he's had an opportunity to spend some extra time with me this past week. We've been coming home, putting on pajamas, and laying on my bed to do his homework. I've found that if he and I get away from everyone else, he works much better. I can read a novel while he works, and still be right there to help if he needs me.

It's times like these that I just love being a mother!

No comments: